It’s time to have a look at the Fjern Skjold waterproof jacket. After using the Fjern Orkan for a few years now I wanted to take a look at the other waterproof layer created by Fjern: The Skjold packable waterproof jacket.
Skjold in Norwegian means shield and that is exactly what this waterproof layer does, it shields you from the elements.
This is an extremely lightweight jacket weighing 335gm for the medium size and completly packable.
Using eVent® fabric with Direct Venting™ technology, the SKJOLD keeps precipitation out whilst allowing perspiration to escape.
Designed to be lightweight for fast and lightweight activities this jacket is a must to be thrown in your bag in case the heavens open.
The Fjern Skjold Waterproof Jacket: How waterproof is it?
The jacket is waterproof, windproof, wreathable and lightweight.
Made from a durable 3-layer fabric with a Nylon face, and a DWR finish (Durable Water Repellent) which helps repel water from fabric surface.
All seems are taped and the jacket has seamless shoulders for added waterproofness.
Its waterproof rating is Waterproof rating 10,000mm compared to 20,000mm of the Orkan.
Load and loads of technical features.
The Fjern Skjold is full of technical details to help you feel comfortable when enjoying the outdoors, whether on a dayhike, multi-way trek, climbing, fell running or as a waterproof kept in the boot of the car.
Price wise, this jacket retails at £250 and at the time of writing this post there is a 50% discount making these jackets very affordable at £125.
Sizes ranging from Small to XX Large they are capable of keeping anyone dry no matter what body size you are.
Is is waterproof?
With a hydrostatic head of 10,000mm it isn’t as water proof as 20,000mm of the Orkan but so far it has kept me dry ( I haven’t tried it in a complete downpour yet).
What do I think about it?
Love it!, The Skjold is lightweight, bright (great safety aspect), fits well, doesn’t draw up your arms when moving, doesn’t ride up your back when bending down, you can really get snug in the hood, Packs away small and a great layer to have in your bag on a multi day hike.
All in all, this jacket will keep your dry and when worn with other fern products as a layering system such as the Andas base layer, Vandring Fleece and in the coldest conditions the Aktiv down jacket you will be able to go #beyond boundaries!
Would I recommend this?
- Waterproof, Windproof, Breathable, Lightweight and durable 3-layer fabric with Nylon face
- Unique eVent® membrane with Direct Venting™ technology
- DWR finish (Durable Water Repellent) helps repel water from fabric surface
- Taped seams and seamless shoulders for added waterproofness
- Anatomical shaping for fit and comfort, designed for technical layering
- Articulated elbows for freedom of movement
- No-lift gusseted underarms
- Fully adjustable helmet compatible hood with laminated & wired brim
- Laminated centre front zip guard with soft tricot trim zip garage
- Extended high collar for extra face protection
- YKK water repellent zippers
- Two large zipped hand warmer pockets
- Corded zipper pulls are easy to grab, even whilst wearing gloves
- Moulded zipper garages to protect closure from snow and rain
- Hypalon Velcro cuff adjusters
- Adjustable drawcord hem with drop back for extra coverage
- Reflective details
- Hanging loop
- Athletic fit – room for movement & layering, but without being oversized
- Fabric weight 72gsm / Garment weight (size M) 335gm
- Note: YKK’s water repellent zippers are highly water resistant but not 100% waterproof. We do not recommend keeping items in your external pockets that may be damaged by moisture